Sunday, September 11, 2011

Green Eggs and Life Changes

As you can probably tell in my last post, I have been reading since I was very young. It only makes sense to pay homage to the book series that got me started on reading. My parents knew they wanted to inject the foundations of a "good education" into my veins from the moment I was born. One of the main elements of education they wanted to instill in me was a love of reading.

My mother introduced me to reading at age 3 starting with the Dr. Seuss series. My mother (or my father) would read aloud to me while I followed along. Dr. Seuss' books always took me on a whirlwind of adventure. They always featured far away lands and funny characters. The rhymes were always clever and interesting. I was fascinated with the way the words seemed to always go along with the pretty pictures.

My parents bought me book after book and they would spend hours reading to me. Eventually, my parents got tired of reading the same books to me over and over (I don't blame them) so, they bought me books on tape. With the books on tape, I could finally read by myself!

The Dr. Seuss series led me to explore other books (especially ones with tapes attached to them) and eventually I could read on my own without my mom or my dad or even the tapes! One of my favorite Dr. Seuss books was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Why I was so obsessed with this particular Dr. Seuss book I'll never know. All I remember is when the tape finally gave up on me, I cried for hours.

Eventually, I was reading everything I could get my hands on. When I started pre-school, I was reading on a third-grade level, and I owe it all to a quirky little book about fish of different colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment