Sunday, September 18, 2011

Is this right?

I might not be looking in the right places but, I could not find a book that focuses solely on a racial, classist or sexist issue besides the books that we already discussed in class.

However, one book I did find that was interesting was a book entitled, Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin. The book explored the lives of two boys who were cousins living in two different parts of the world. One cousin lived in Mexico and the other lived in a big city in America (presumably somewhere in New York City). Through the children's eyes, the book shows two different worlds as they try to explain to each other what they do on a daily basis. 

For example, when explaining what each other's home life is, "Primo Carlitos" writes, "Dear Primo Charlie,...I live on a farm surrounded by mountains and trees. My family grown many things, such as maiz. We have a burro, pollos, and a gallo. Every morning the gallo crows and crows." (3-4) In contrast, "Primo Charlie" writes, "Dear Primo Carlitos, I live in a city. From my window I can see a bridge and cars zooming by. I can see skyscrapers too." (5)

What this book was trying to teach children reading it (besides Spanish) was, people across the world can and do the same things that they are doing. Even though the two children are in different countries, they both share similar experiences. Their worlds are different in the types of customs and the types of holidays they share but, at the basic level, they like to play games, celebrate traditions and are family orientated.

Although this book does not talk about a prominent social issue (i.e. racism, classism, sexism), I thing learning about other cultures, languages and traditions is something that should be discussed with children. I find that a lot of children are often stuck in their own small boxes of life. I could only imagine how much an American child knew about other children or customs in a place like Mexico. Being a worldly child is almost as important as being a child without racist, classist, or sexist tenancies. 

1 comment:

  1. For me, from reading your description, the book seems to be one that focuses on diversities and differences. I'll have to look up the book to read it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete