Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Controversy

The book I would like to discuss is Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoit. I feel like we have talked about this book a lot in class but I don't think I have ever expressed my opinion about it.

I thought it was interesting how the book took a positive approach to homosexuality. It certainly felt unbiased to me. The author's decision to make it from the child's point of view is important to make it more relatable and simpler for children to understand. The book did not go into detail fully about what homosexuality is and the controversy surrounding it which, I thought, was perfect for introducing the topic to children, especially children of homosexual couples.

I just read this book in class this past Friday. I think it is interesting that there are children's books that deal with heavy, controversial subjects like homosexuality and divorce. I can't recall reading children's books on heavy subjects when I was younger. However, I think it is important to have books like this in order to open up conversation about more serious topics. In my opinion, kids shouldn't be raised to think the world is full of rainbows and donuts. Dependent on their age, basic conversations about homosexuality, divorce and other types of heavy issues should be discussed at least at the surface level with children especially if they are bought up or questioned by their inquiring minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment