Monday, November 14, 2011

Looking on the Outside

The book I am writing about is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

When I think of books on social issues, I primarily think about books that are about overt social issues like homosexuality or issues like that. The Outsiders is a good example of what I would consider a social issue book that doesn't exactly bring the social issues to the forefront.

The Outsiders brings the social issue of peer pressure and gangs to the minds of kids. I think it's interesting that S.E. Hinton writes from one character's point of view instead of writing from an objective third person view. I think writing from the one character makes it more relatable to children and makes it more of an easier read.

The peer pressure to be in a gang and join certain cliques in childrens' lives makes this book something that should be read in schools. The first time I read this book was in middle school right when cliques were starting to form. At the time, I didn't realize the social significance of the book. This book is good to open up conversations on peer pressure, family, and social groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment